EASY SANDWICH BREAD
Easy, plant-based sandwich bread for all! Did you know that back in the day the majority of bread was vegan? Yes, it’s true. Companies have added this and that over the years and complicated what was once a simple recipe, turning it into nutritionless white stuff that is somehow still considered “food.” Let’s take it back to the roots. This is a super simple, 5 ingredient recipe for a fluffy loaf of vegan bread that is crunchy in all the right places. And hey, you can even pronounce all the ingredients!
PREP TIME: 10h 15m | BAKE TIME: 35m | TOTAL: 10h 50m | YIELD: 1 large LOAF
Sometimes I use only whole-wheat flour or only all-purpose flour. It just depends on what I have in stock. Both are fine, but the thing to keep in mind is that with 100% whole-wheat flour, the bread will turn out much denser than if you use a flour combination or 100% all-purpose flour.
Make sure to try our Vegan Garlic Bread, perfect for snacking on, enjoying with hummus, pesto, or whatever you desire! It's also great for sandwiches unless they're PB&J. Garlic and PB&J are not a good combo. ;-)
- 1 1/2 cup organic whole-wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cup organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2-3 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients, adding the olive oil and water last.
- Mix thoroughly with a spoon or your hands. During this step, you may want to add up to a 1/2 cup extra of flour a little at a time until dough is barely tacky.
- Form into a large ball and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise at room temperature for a minimum of 10 hours.
- After allotted time has passed, place dough onto a floured surface and with floured hands form the dough into a ball. Cover dough with plastic wrap or a towel and let it take a nap.
- Preheat oven to 450°F and place empty oven-safe dish into oven while it preheats.
- Once oven is preheated and oven-safe pan is warmed, carefully remove pan and place the dough in it, then cover with lid.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and bake for 5 more minutes OR until the outer area is crispy.
- Remove bread and let cool.