ARTISAN OAT BREAD
There is nothing better than fresh-baked bread. As this vegan oat bread bakes, you may find yourself imagining that you are tucked away in a cozy bakery. The smell wafting from your oven is so delightful, who knows what it will inspire you to make next. This 7 ingredient, plant-based bread can stand alone or be served as an excellent side to your favorite dish
PREP TIME: 15m | BAKE TIME: 35m | TOTAL: 50m | YIELD: 1 large LOAF
Sometimes I just use all whole wheat flour or all all-purpose flour. It just depends on what I have on hand. The big difference is how dense the bread is, with 100% whole wheat flour the bread turn out much denser than if you use a flour combination or use 100% all-purpose.
Have you tried our plant-based Carrot Ginger Soup? It is excellent paired with this vegan artisan oat bread.
- 1 1/2 cups organic whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 3/4 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2-3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup oats
- Add all dry ingredients into a large bowl, adding the yeast last.
- Add water and wait a few minutes until the yeast and water start to react.
- Mix thoroughly with a spoon or your hands. During this step you may want to add up to 1/2 a cup extra of flour, a little at a time until dough is barely tacky.
- Form into a ball, place it in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise at room temperature for a minimum of 8 hours.
- After allotted time has passed, place dough onto a floured surface and with floured hands form the dough into a ball. Cover dough with plastic wrap or a towel and let it take a nap or just "rest".
- Preheat oven to 450°F and place empty oven-safe dish into oven while it preheats.
- Once oven is preheated and oven-safe pan is warmed, carefully remove pan and place the dough in it and cover with lid.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and bake for 5 more minutes OR until the outer area is crispy.
- Remove bread and let cool.