These vegan lemon poppy seed muffins taste like little pieces of sunshine. Made with both poppy seeds and chia seeds, these plant-based muffins have an unexpected punch of protein as well. Poppy seeds are also a good source of magnesium and calcium.
PREP TIME: 10m | BAKE TIME: 25m | TOTAL: 35m | YIELD: 2 - 2 1/2 DOZEN
Feel free to use a hand mixer to fully combine all ingredients, unless you really want an arm workout.
- 2 1/2 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups organic whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 6 tablespoons flax meal + 12 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon loosely packed lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin tins.
- In a small bowl, combine 6 tablespoons flaxseed meal and 12 tablespoons water, then let sit.
- In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, combine all wet ingredients together, adding flaxseed meal mixture last.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients to large bowl.
- Thoroughly combine all ingredients using a mixer or spoon.
- Scoop into muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes.
- Enjoy for breakfast, dessert, or for a snack!